With over 850 trade and office locations around the UK, the Building Distribution Division, including the Jewson Builders’ Merchant stores, represents over 40% of Saint-Gobain’s business. 80% of employees are located in store serving a diverse customer base from individuals to specialist crafts people, and general construction businesses.
Saint-Gobain is focused on providing a safe workplace for employees and protecting the high value raw materials that are stored at each site. Following a thorough analysis of the security market, the Saint-Gobain management team specified a real estate security solution to improve service and quality levels, enabling the in-house team to focus on core security-related activities.
Saint-Gobain awarded SSS the contract for a managed security solution that included the monitoring of intruder and fire alarms at the trade locations as well as the supply chain management of the alarm maintenance contractors. As part of the mobilisation of the contract, SSS benchmarked contractor performance and costs, whilst creating an asset register of the alarm equipment.
SSS rationalised the supply chain to reduce cost and improve contractor performance. The replacement of closed protocol systems with standard equipment found in other locations was implemented as a cost neutral exercise given the inflated nature of the maintenance programmes for bespoke equipment.
The integration of the alarm systems onto the existing Saint-Gobain wide area network has created a dual-signalling effect with IP and GPRS, and has eliminated the need for a telephone connection. An effective project plan enabled SSS to purchase and schedule works at best value for Saint-Gobain.
- 24/7 365 helpdesk and alarm receiving centre operation
- An audit and management of the asset register relating to security systems
- Benchmarking and supply chain management
- Project management of the IP roll-out programme for alarm systems
- Transfer of ownership of leased equipment at zero cost to Saint-Gobain
- Contractor performance across the contract KPIs has increased from 65% to over 90%
- A 24-month return on investment has been realised for the transfer of alarm signalling to the Saint-Gobain IP network
- The improved visibility of monitoring data highlights the most secure stock warehousing locations
- IP upgrade provided robust dual path signalling